Sunday, September 30, 2012

Shift

By Kim Curran

Shift

Description from Barnes & Noble:
When your average, 16-year old loser, Scott Tyler, meets the beautiful and mysterious Aubrey Jones, he learns he's not so average after all. He's a 'Shifter'. And that means he has the power to undo any decision he's ever made. At first, he thinks the power to shift is pretty cool. But as his world starts to unravel around him he realises that each time he uses his power, it has consequences; terrible unforeseen consequences. Shifting is going to get him killed. In a world where everything can change with a thought, Scott has to decide where he stands.

When I saw this book on NetGalley, I snatched up the chance to read it based on the awesome premise, and the story didn't disappoint. It's fast-paced and clever with a likeable main character. It's set in London, written by a UK author, and the language has a definite British slant to it, which I enjoyed. Unlike many YA novels, this is one that will definitely appeal to boys as much as girls.

My only complaints were that the ending felt a little abrupt and there were a couple of plot points near the end that I felt could have benefited from more elaboration to not feel quite so convenient. As a writer, I think I'm overly picky about this kind of thing though, and it didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the book.

I don't know if a sequel is planned, but there is definitely potential for more from these characters, and I'd love to go along for the ride.

No comments: